Dubbed the Cathedral of the Rive Gauche, this enormous 17th-century Baroque church has entertained some unlikely christenings—among them the Marquis de Sade and Charles Baudelaire—as well as the nuptials of novelist Victor Hugo. The present church is the second building on the site, erected over a Romanesque church originally constructed during the 13th century. The new building was founded in 1646 by parish priest Jean-Jacques Olier who had established the Society of Saint-Sulpice, a clerical congregation, and a seminary attached to the church.
location paris, france
photographer patrick e connolly